Calçots (White Lisbon scallions) can be toxic — even lethal — for many domestic animals, including dogs and cats. They are no different from the rest of onions, garlics and other representatives of the allium family that we eat often.
Why Are They Poisonous?
This kind of produce can cause intoxication in any of their forms: raw, dehydrated, or cooked. This is due to a component called thiosulfate, which oxidizes red globules, so they rupture. Consequently, internal tissues stop receiving enough oxygen. This condition is known as hemolytic anemia, and may have severe hematological and clinical effects.
Dogs and cats are highly susceptible to poisoning with calçots because scallions can do damage from very low doses (5 gm / kg in cats, and 15-30 gm / kg in dogs).
How to Know if My Pet Is Poisoned From Calçots?
The most frequent poisoning symptoms from onions or calçots are:
- anorexia (they stop eating)
- increase of respiratory frequency
- pale mucous membranes
- blood in urine
What to Do if I Think My Pet Has Eaten Onions or Scallions?
If you suspect a poisoning from either calçots or any other kind of onions, take your pet to the veterinarian right away. Vomiting and diarrhea can be immediate, but the rest of symptoms appear, usually, one to four days after the ingestion.
For that reason, it is crucial to treat the intoxication from an early stage. Unless caught in time, it could be lethal. Red globules are damaged faster than the animal can replace them.
What Treatment Will My Pet Receive in Case of Onion Poisoning?
Since a small amount of raw calçots or onions can be poisonous, it might be useful to induce vomit within the first hour after ingestion, even if there are no symptoms.
Mild poisonings usually subside spontaneously, or with C and E vitamin supplements. In more serious cases treatment consists of oxygen therapy, fluid therapy, and occasionally blood transfusions.